Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Goo goo gaa gaa. Muu muu maa maa.

"I cannot make my lips move like that."
"The tongue needs to do what?!?"
"You want me to make the letter m come out of my nose?"

These were all just some of the questions the last few days in world language training.  I honestly do not remember if they were questions in class or ones that just popped into my head throughout the day.  We have gone over sounds, voice stops, and other phonetics-- leaving my mouth feel like it just went to the gym to do some hardcore workout.  I am not kidding.  Russian, Hindi, Mandarin, Jeh, Spanish, Swahili. These muscles are sore at the end of the day.  Goo goo gaa gaa. Muu muu maa maa.  

It has been crazy, but really good.  I am excited for how this will prepare me for Spanish, Kichwa, and any other languages that might pop up in my life.  

For those that I forgot to inform or those that have simply forgotten, I am currently at Missions Training International in Colorado.  It has been amazing.  I definitely arrived the first day and felt like I flashed back to middle school.  My awkward self desiring to make friends, but not knowing how to speak to others.  BUT this amazing thing happened (in addition to the majority of my inner awkwardness going away).  Community.  Community that happened in a few days. Something I have been desiring desperately for the last year in the jungle.  I love little joys.  

I also cannot believe this joy of beauty that is right outside my window.  I have decided to name these beauties green mountain majesties and gargantuan rockin rocks.  There is even beauty on the inside of the window. Honesty.  Authenticity.  Laughter.  Amazing love of parents for their adorable children.  Wonderful words of wisdom.  Conversations about struggles and fears on the field.  Excitement for the ministries of others all over this whole wide wide world.  

All of that mixed with the hope of mastering (or better yet just developing) language and cultural learning makes all the small challenges seem just that-- small.  Even the challenges where I am learning to to say Achmed, "A" "C" "PHLEGM".  Oh, so much phlegm.  

Always in wonder and laughter,
Keri

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am glad your time is going well, Keri! Everyone misses you, especially the boys. They come over to the cabin, and they say, "When is Keri coming back? She´s fun." I´m looking forward to hearing about your travels when you make it back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanksgivings I very your spirit heart my father god have brother jesus too life with alive amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanksgivings I very your spirit heart my father god have brother jesus too life with alive amen

    September 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Keri. We made a quick trip to the jungle this weekend, and one little Davalos girl said, "I miss Keri." "Oh, you miss Keri," I said. And then the other chimed in, "I miss Keri, too." "Well, do you like Peter?" I asked. They replied, "Yeah, but I miss Keri." Thought you might want to know that you're missed.

    ReplyDelete