Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

привет ....



I have decided to just show a picture of my journal from the last 2 days of language learning.  

Language learning.  I bet as some of you are reading this, you even cringe just a little (or hey maybe a lot) at those words.  I was right there.  I remember the countless hours both studying or sitting in Spanish class....

tengo
tienes 
tiene           etc. etc. etc.
Grammar.  Memorization.  That was life.  That was how the language would be learned.  Just one Spanish lecture at UNC pretty much slammed my lack of Spanish skill right in my face.  I had absolutely no idea how to speak the crazy language.  Later, I found myself immersed and loving life in Peru-- finally learning how to converse, because it was my means of survival.  However, I still struggle sometimes with words, phrases, particular accents, or just mind burps.  

In one of our classes today our professor said, "Language is a creative production."


"Language is a creative production."
 I actually envision a conductor and then this beautiful symphony of language being heard.  I have never thought language to be creative.  It has always been that super boring, annoying, or frustrating thing at the back of my mind.  Something that I always desire to do well, but never seem able to master or develop.  However, my thoughts on the matter are changing.  I am seeing some amazing techniques to learning---and I have started to actually become curious about language.  

Wonder about language?!???? 


I know.  I used to think the same.  Now, I can see how in just two days, I have been able to retain and speak various phrases in Russian.  A language with an alphabet so strange and foreign to my eyes, I cannot even attempt to describe it.  I sometimes wonder how the training here works....but it just does.  Learning is not just about written memorization.  I now am aware of the possibility to learn new languages.  I have hope as I see the way that my little brain is activated.  I am excited as I learn to lead my own learning and I see the goodness in language.  It is the wonderful ability we have to express and communicate in this world.  Language is almost like a little key helping you to enter into the door of someone's world--so that you can build those wonderful relationships.  It is one of my tools to go out and love like God loves.  Oh, what a crazy, lovely thing. 


How is language learning for YOU??? Leave some comments :D


Пока! (Goodbye in Russian),

Keri

1 comment:

  1. Keri! I am so glad you are enjoying it there! We still keep in touch with a lot of the friends that we made there and we learned so much there. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete